How Can I Volunteer?
- Volunteer as a coach
- Volunteer for a local sports club or in your community
- Volunteer on a Council
- Volunteer with a Special Olympics program
- Volunteer at major competitions and sporting events!
To get started please visit the Special Olympics Ontario volunteer portal
Who Can Volunteer?
Special Olympics volunteers should have the following attributes:
- enthusiastic, highly motivated individual who has excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- high integrity, are passionate about helping others, and believe in the vision of Special Olympics Ontario
- interested in assisting in the growth of Special Olympics in the Ottawa area and making a difference in the lives of others
- Have the opportunity to experience and help athletes with an
intellectual disability achieve their goals and reach their full
- Improve your coaching and/or administrative skills
- Meet new people and contacts
- Participate in recognition events
- Pursue training and continuing education
- Stay active in sport
- Use your skills to help others
- Add meaningful experience to your resume
What do the volunteer opportunities involve?
Program volunteers and coaches:
- provide training for athletes in any of our different sports
- work with athletes to improve basic motor skills and teach sport-specific skills
- prepare athletes for competitions
- commit about 1-2 hours weekly
- commit some weekends for competitions
- Be a part of athletes achieving their goals and capture the spirit of Special Olympics!
Please refer to the coaches page for more details on various volunteer positions.
- Experience the energy of a Special Olympics event!
- Spend an exciting day at a competition timing races, measuring long jumps, serving lunches, fundraising, and much more!
- Share your expertise and talents on a planning committee
- Gain new leadership and organizational skills, or utilize your
creative side in organizing on a fund raising event or competition
- Gain skills in fundraising, budgets, planning, coordinating and much more…
We also welcome volunteers with professional skills that can help us match possible needs in the organization:
- Graphic designers
- Medical Experts